Today I came across this post by Michael Hyatt (CEO of Thomas Nelson Incorporated, who will be publishing my latest book My Big Book of Catholic Bible Stories in February 2010).
How do you motivate a team to do their best? Simple, as Michael writes.
In my experience, there are five ways to do this:
- Assume others are smart and working hard.
- Listen intently and ask thoughtful questions.
- Acknowledge the sacrifices others have made on your behalf.
- Express gratitude for their effort and their results.
- Remind them why their work is so important and the difference they are making.
Yes, you can talk about issues that need to be addressed, but it has to be done in a way that leaves people motivated about what is possible.
This is as true for mothers and parenting as it is in the boardroom. Acknowledge. Ask. Appreciate. Admire. In a word … build up your team!